Brac University Computer Vision and Intelligent Systems (CVIS) lab together with IEEE Brac University Student Branch and IEEE Computer Society Bangladesh Chapter organized an International Workshop on Computer Vision and Intelligent Systems-2010 (IWCVIS2019) on December 26, 2019 at Brac University premises. The main goal of the program is to create a knowledge-sharing platform where scholars and experts from all over the world can share their ideas and research knowledge on different sectors of CVIS and students and academics can learn and be exposed to the expanding horizons of research topics. The program was divided into four
segments : the inaugural session, lecture session , poster paper presentation and panel discussion session.
The inaugural session started at 12:30 pm at Brac University auditorium. The program started with an inspiring speech from Professor Mohammad Tamim PhD, Pro Vice Chancellor of Brac University, followed by some motivational words by Sadia Hamid Kazi, Deputy Chairperson and Assistant Professor of Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Brac University. After that , Md Ashraful Alam, PhD, Assistant Professor of Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Brac University and Director of Brac University CVIS lab shared his thoughts on the emerging fields and the future of computer visions and intelligent systems in general. The special guest of the program, Professor Md Shofir Uddin, PhD, Chairperson of IEEE Computer Society Bangladesh Chapter and Professor of Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Jahangirnagar University, gave a speech on his vision of intelligent systems and how events as such can help in the spreading of research ideas.
Keynote Speech Session
The motive of the keynote session was to emphasis on the research scopes and cutting edge topics of CVIS such as image processing, artificial intelligence , computer vision and so on. The three keynote speakers were :
- Professor Khan Iftekharuddin, PhD (Professor and Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Programs, Director, Vision Lab, Batten College of Engineering and Technology, Old Dominion University, USA) who talked on “Computational Intelligence in Vision and Biomedical Image Processing.
2. Professor Atiqur Rahman Ahad, PhD (Professor of Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh and Associate Professor of Department of Media
Intelligent, Osaka University, Japan) who talked on “Vision and Sensor Based Gait Recognition)
3. Professor Rahmatullah Khondoker, PhD (Professor of Department of Computer Science, Darmstadt University of Applied Sciences, Germany) who talked on “Computer Vision for Autonomous Vehicle : Threat Analysis, Risk Assessment and Risk Treatment.
The keynote sessions gave the audience a clear and informative insight on these ingenious sectors of CVIS.
Panel Discussion Session
The panel discussion session brought together academic leaders, industry experts, government officials and pioneers from engineering sectors for sharing their knowledge and experiences and figuring out the scopes of possible collaborations in research and innovations.They discussed about the participation of industrial experts and academic leaders in contributing to innovative ideas to tackle SDGs. The session chair was Md Ashraful Alam, PhD, Assistant Professor of Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Brac University and Director of Brac University CVIS lab. The session
co-chair was Md Khalilur Rahman, PhD, Associate Professor of Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Brac University.
The panel members were :
- Khondaker Abdullah Al Mamun, PhD (Associate Professor of Department of Computer Science and Engineering, United International University)
- Mr. Faruq Ahmed Jewel (Head of Technology, Innovation Lab, a2i, ICT Division)
- Professor Dr Syed Akhter Hossain (Professor and Head of Department of Computer Science and Engineering,Daffodil International University)
- Mr. M Manjur Mahmud (Director and COO, Datasoft, Dhaka, Bangladesh)
- Professor Dr Md Zahidul Islam (Professor of Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Green University, Dhaka, Bangladesh)
- Dr. M Shamim Kaiser (Associate Professor, Institute of Information Technology, Jahangirnagar University)
- Mr. Md Asif Ali (Director of Software Engineering, Therap Services)
- Dr. Md Akterruzzaman (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Islamic University, Kushtia, Bangladesh)
- Dr. Md Abu Layek (Assistant Professor of Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Jagannath University)
- Mr. Minhaz Khan (Managing Director, Inovace Technologies)
- Dr. Md Zulfiker Mahmud (Assistant Professor of Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Jagannath University)
- Mr. Md Abdur Rahim (Senior Manager, Network Service Management, Banglalink Digital Communication Limited)
- Dr. Fida Hasan (Postdoctoral Research Fellow, School of Computer Science, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia)
- Mr. Rashad Kabir (Managing Director, Dream71 Bangladesh Ltd.)
- Mr. Md Shamsul Haque (Head of Digital Innovation, LEADS Corporation Ltd.)
- Ln Engr Md. Ahsan Habib (Associate Professor of Department of Communication Technology, Mawlana Bhashani Science and Technology University, Bangladesh)
- Minhaz-Us-Salakeen Fahme (Co-Founder and Chairman, Battery Low Interactive)
Poster Paper Presentation
Students presented their ideas and research on posters where they were judges based on their knowledge and skills. There were a total of 17 posters among which 4 best poster papers were selected.
The winners of the poster paper were :
|P-110||Financial Factors Analysis for Acquisition Premium and Anticipation using Extreme Gradient Boosting and Deep Recurrent Neural Network||Annur Majid, Samiha Sultana and Md Rayhan|
|P-101||Bangla Sign Language Teaching Aid for Children with Impaired Hearing||Sabila Nawshin, Nazmus Saif, Abu Shafin Mohammad Mahdee Jamil|
|P-112||Reinforcement Learning based Autonomous Vehicle for Exploration and Exploitation of Undiscovered Track||Razin Bin Issa,Md Saferi Rahman,Modhumonty Das, Monika Barua – From Brac University|
|P-117||Detecting Query-Oriented Influential User from Mining Social Network||Aditi Dhali,Sarmistha Sarna Gomasta, Sudeepto Mohanta, Md Musfique Anwar|
The event ended at 6:30pm by handing over the certificates and crests to the winners of poster paper presentation competition and group photos.